Thursday, May 04, 2006

Yardwork and more yardwork

I spent all day in the yard. I've been averaging a few hours every few days in the yard, but this morning we had a nasty gram from one of our neighbors proclaiming that our yard, which is in a perpetual state of construction, is an eyesore. It seems that we are, in fact, the frum Jews on the block and are holding down the title quite well.

So, I planted, weeded, mowed, moved stones, cleared brush, fought off spiders, got attacked by an overgrown rose bush and now I'm exhausted. The neighbor under suspicion had the chutzpah to take a break from listening to his Def Leppard "Hysteria" album and come out and wave at me. Now, I know I should've waved back, but all I could manage was a cold glare. Maybe next year I'll become a bigger person. Over our ice cream dinner tonight, Soulmate and I were plotting how many magazine subscriptions the guy deserves. And you all thought we were nice...

I'm exhausted. Soulmate is at a shiur for the next hour. I can't find kosher sliced bread here. It makes me sad. I did find some of the "Ezekiel" brand bread - foul sprouted grain stuff that faills to do justice to a peanut butter sandwich. I called BCK, the kashrus organization out of Vancouver, and the rabbi told me to start calling bread companies on a regular basis and encourage them to turn kosher. A one-woman crusade to bring squishy white bread to the citizens of Victoria.

As the weather has gotten nicer, I've found that covering my hair in the heat isn't going to be that much fun. I have scarves. I have cute little cotton hats. I miss the wind in my hair. I went out in a ballcap the other day with my hair in a bun sticking out the back. I was self-concious the whole time. Soulmate and I admitted to each other that, even though we don't like it, it bothered both of us to have so much of my hair showing. I guess we've gone frum...

4 Comments:

Blogger BlogBlond said...

i am having such mommy nachas from the ballcap story! don't you guys have, like, a private backyard or something where you can roam free?

also, i am thinking maybe your neighbor needs some houseguests- should we send you some?

05 May, 2006 05:56  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yeah - our backyard is secluded enough and both of our neighbors are non-Jews, so I often will go out there uncovered (and even in my pajama trousers!!), but it's not such a pleasant place to sit yet. We're working on it. The front yard is under control, now we tackle the back.

05 May, 2006 08:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take offense at your condescending tone regarding one of the greatest albums of the 80's.

Lyrics such as: "Do you take sugar?/One lump or two?", and, "I get hysterical/hysteria/when I get that feelin'/better start believin'", are metaphors for those carefree days. Sheer poetry.

That and the band has a one-armed drummer. That never stops being cool.

Have you no shame?!?! You are in serious need on an infusion of good taste.

=P

05 May, 2006 08:53  
Blogger Sarah said...

"Datingmaster" - I seem to recall that your last post made as much sense as this one. Are you really deranged or are you just pretending?

08 May, 2006 08:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home