Monday, October 16, 2006

Finally

I feel a little sheepish, but I'm glad all the yamim tovim are finally over. We haven't had a true "weekend" in over a month. I miss Sundays when we typically do a little shopping, take a drive, visit with the inlaws, etc. Now it's fall and Sunday afternoons are the perfect time to see movies. We bought passes to the IMAX at the BC Natural History Museum. IMAX movies are great - they average about an hour so even if the movie drags a little, it's not too long.

The last one we saw was NASCAR. Soulmate, lover of all things car-related, wanted to see it and I figured I might as well learn a little more about the NASCAR demographic. Lots of my former students were NASCAR fans and I had never quite understood exactly what was interesting about the sport - cars going around in circles at high speeds, what's the big deal? The movie left me even more mystified. Apparently there are people who take their yearly family vacation going to NASCAR races. They load up the Winnebago and truck it to wherever the race happens to be. Then, they barbecue, set up chairs on TOP of the Winnebago and watch the race. Ok. I still don't get it.

I was listening to the Diane Rehm show today on NPR. The discussion centered around the proposed "fence" along our border with Mexico. This older lady called in to say that the majority of immigrants coming to the US were high school dropouts (so???). She then went on to make the point that if we let in high school dropouts from Mexico, they will take jobs away from our own high school dropouts... Wha?????

Soulmate is on the other side of the province today for work. I dropped him off at the airport at 8 and with pick him up at 6:30 tonight. In the mean time, I'm going to put some of this nesting energy to work and start prepping the bedroom to be painted.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ahuva said...

Did you catch the Diane Rehm show today? It was all about the origins of NASCAR. I still don't understand why people are spending time/money waiting to see others kill themselves in car crashes, but the book sounded interesting.

18 October, 2006 15:09  
Blogger Sarah said...

I missed Diane Rehm today. The IMAX film did a pretty good job of articulating the origins of NASCAR (bootlegging and running from the cops) - that part at least was interesting.

One image that struck me during the film: they showed the top of the press box at tone of the stadiums. There was an image of a car with rays of light emanating from it... very avodah zara-ish. Interesting that many NASCAR fans profess to be "devout" Christians.

18 October, 2006 17:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home