Thursday, August 31, 2006

Anysara Gets Political - U.S. Senate Races 2006

So here I am in the wilds of Canada and I'm thinking about the 2006 Congressional Elections. While I was initially happy with President Bush's support of Israel during the recent escalation of conflict with Hezbollah, it's about the only thing he's done that has made me proud of my government in the past six years. I'm following the 2006 Congressional Elections and I'll be voting by absentee ballot in my home state because I'd like to see our government change a little. I will, in all likelyhood, vote Democrat and posts here will reflect that perspective.

With that disclaimer, here's the break down of U.S. Senate races:

Current seat holdings in the U.S. Senate:
44 Democratic seats
56 Republican seats

In order to take control of the Senate, Democrats need to hold all seats and pick up 7 seats from Republicans. While this is unlikely, few Demcratic seats are in danger (only Connecticut comes to mind due to the Lieberman debacle) and Dems stand a decent chance of picking up at least two seats.

Where Dems could pick up a seat:

Most Likely
  • Montana - Rep incumbent
  • Pennsylvania - Rep incumbent

Tossup - both seats currently held by Republicans
  • Missouri - Rasmussen Poll shows Republican ahead 46%-44% as of Aug 22
  • RI - Dead even Aug 21

Less Likely, But Possible
  • OH - Republican incumbent trailing in Aug 1 Rasmussen Poll 44%-42%. Oh sweet revenge...

Other Races to Watch
  • Minnesota - seat being vacated by a Dem - polls show race is leaning toward staying Dem
  • Maryland - seat being vacated by a Dem - No primary yet - Sept 12

Sources:
Washington Post Key Races 2006
New York Times 2006 Election Guide
*I did make an effort to find Election 2006 information from well-known conservative-leaning sites (i.e. the Wall Street Journal, Fox News), but I was unable to find anything comprehensive. I'll keep at it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

There are probably ten good reasons why the Dems need control of the Senate. I wonder, though, how many of those seats stand to be won by let's say, Gore Democrats,. and how many by, let's say, Lieberman Dems. Hmm

31 August, 2006 21:56  
Blogger Sarah said...

As long as they are Democrats, at this point I don't care which camp they fall into. At least we can begin to hold back the marauders and hope for more in '08.

01 September, 2006 10:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home