Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Ex-Patriot 4th of July

It's been an interesting day. In the past few years, I haven't paid much attention to Independence Day (the holiday, not the movie). I lived in a suburb of Detroit where the multi-national Orthodox community had little connection to American independence. Some families would have a barbecue or even take the kids to the fireworks at night, but, mostly, you'd hardly know it was a federal holiday if you drove through the neighborhood.

I make no secret of the fact that I generally disapprove of the job our current President is doing. I think he has done more to harm America's reputation around the world than any other president in the 20th or 21st century. I find myself in Canada frequently defending average Americans and even the way our government is set up.

I grew up in a small resort town in Northern Michigan. The Fourth of July was a big deal there. It had nothing to do with who was currently president or what our country was doing. It had everything to do with celebrating our life and freedom in small-town America. We caught candy thrown during the parade down Main Street in the morning, then it was off to my grandparents for a hamburgers and cherry pie. In the evening, we'd pack a blanket and several boxes of sparklers and walk the three blocks down to the waterfront park where we wouldn't have to wait long before the fireworks started exploding right over our heads. I loved the Fourth of July back then.

Throughout its history, our country has offered freedom to many people. We have also horribly mistreated some people. We are not unique. Life in Canada is good. Most people have good jobs, access to inexpensive healthcare, and are satisfied with their lives. Nevertheless, I find myself missing my small-town Fourth of July.

This 4th of July, I'm spending the day cleaning out my guest room and listening to NPR over the computer. Tonight, Soulmate and I will hit Baskin Robbins and then drive down to the waterfront where we'll be able to see the fireworks from Port Angeles, Washington, away in the distance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home