Monday, October 30, 2006

Come one, come all

It has been a busy week here in Canadia. In anticipation of the delivery of our new bed, I tore up the carpet in the bedroom and painted. Now, a) I've painted plenty before and b) I'm really not stupid, so I'm going to offer you a tip that tripped even me up in spite of my husband's efforts to avoid the mishap. When painting a stippled ceiling, buy ceiling paint. There. I did not listen to my husband's advice and went ahead and used a Whole Gallon of paint on the ceiling of one 12'x12' room. Doh.

In any case, I then didn't have enough paint left over for the trim, so I had to go buy more this morning at the paint store. Grr.

The new bed is positively luxurious. I spent most of the weekend in dog-free, king-sized slumber. I haven't slept this well in months.

What's new in Jewish Victoria? The preschool is a raging success - at capacity for the year. The Hebrew school is growing. Two more Orthodox families are, G-d willing, moving to town within the next six months AND (here's the big news) the fine rabbi and his wife at the Other Orthodox Shul have built a mikveh in their basement (the first and only mikveh on Vancouver Island, I think - not counting the numerous lakes or the ocean). Life here is getting easier and easier.

In the past seven months, we've found sliced bread with hashgacha and a place to get meat at better prices than in Detroit. Heck, we even found kosher frozen unbaked croissants that are pareve, pas yisroel and delicious.

So, all those of you out there who wish there was a frum community on the edge of civilization replete with sunset vistas, mountains to climb, clean air, and heimishe people, we invite you to Victoria.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

Aren't king-sized beds delicious? Highly recommended!

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay

30 October, 2006 16:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home